jueves, 7 de junio de 2012

My 1006

I read my first comic book around the year 1993. It was the very first appearance of Tim Drake as Robin, when he saves Batman from the Scarecrow. I will never forget that issue, an issue which I lost, but I was able to recover last year, in english. It's been a long time since that 1993. And even though I consider myself a comic book reader, I'm not a very constant comic book buyer. My first comic was bought in 1993, I reached 100 comics maybe in 1996, and yesterday, after 19 years of collecting comics I reached 1000 comic books in my collection. But in time I realized is not about how many comics you can get, but how many good stories you complete, it's also about the pencilers, the writers, it's not just to collect comics just because you can.

So, looking inside my 1006 ( the precise number is 1006 YEAH!!!) comic book collection, I looked back on what that collection means to me, and how every single issue I own has a different story than the one published in it. And came to the conclusion that out of my 1006 comics, (feels good to say it) I have maybe 20 or 30 Great comics, first issues, or even real treasures like the one I'm going to talk to you about...

The Amazing Spider-Man #1 a Pocket books edition from 1980. Is not in perfect conditions, but it's in good ones.  The stories in this comic are great. Doc Oc is dating aunt May, and Dr. Doom fights against Spidey. But that is not the reason why I treasure this comic. My oldest brother Charles was a comic book collector too (later on I'll publish the tragic history of my brothers collection). And my brother bought this comic in L.A. in the 1980's. He kept it since then until 1997. That year my brother got married, and while he was cleaning his room he showed me A mint conditions 1983 Kenner Jedi Knight Luke Skywalker, and this comic book. and he said to me. I know you'll treasure them with your life. As you can see, I still have the comic book, and yes, I still have Luke Skywalker, I actually have  the 1983 and the 1997 Jedi Knights. This comic I'll keep forever because it's story is great.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario